Don't forget to put the seat down...

Warning To The Grammarically Correct: If it just bothered you that I wrote "Grammarically", you may as well leave now because my grammar gets even worse.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Land of Runny Noses, Flatulence, Bugs and Plenty of Roads....d

I'm a wife and mom to three boys. I love everything 80's, anything chocolate and loathes politics. I like to run for fun (preferably NOT in the hot, hot sun)....

Thursday, August 24, 2006

In Memory of Mr. Ben....

On Saturday - August 19th - my father-in-law...the father of my loving husband and the dzia-dzia of my three boys...passed away. He was such a quiet, soft-spoken man. He was born in Poland in the early 1935. He lived in a German camp as a boy and was once almost shot point blank by a German soldier. When he was a young man he moved to the United States, became a citizen and joined the army where he became an army cook.

Mr. Ben loved raising animals. He had many rabbits as a child and when he was older he raised/bred/showed canaries. He loved those birds so very much and would listen to their songs for hours at a time. When he started to get pretty sick with his heart - about eight years ago - he sold the canaries. He missed those carnaries...

You may not know this, but the marriage between my in-laws started out as a marriage of convenience. My mother-on-law (who is also from Poland) wanted to stay in the U.S. and so for her to stay in the country my father-in-law offered to marry her. In time, they grew to love each other and had two sons. Don't get me wrong...they were no Ozzie and Harriet...Have you ever seen the show 'Everybody Loves Raymond'? Well, my in-laws not only resembled Ray's parents, but their relationship was almost exactly like the one of Ray's parents. Just add Amaretto and Polish accents. :)

I hate to say this, but sometimes I'd try to avoid Mr. Ben because he would tell the same stories over and over and over again. Like the one where he'd say that if he knew he could've eaten crabs as a boy he would've feasted for months back in Poland. Or how he got both of his sons to walk at the age of eight months. (And how it was so nice that he could just sit them on their 'dupa' (butt) when he wanted them to stop walking..because they didn't know how to get back up...) However, now I am so glad to have heard those stories (and others) so many times because whenever I eat steamed crabs or when (if?) Mason decides to start walking...I will alway think of Mr. Ben.

We will miss him.

Bóg Błogosławi (czcić) Was. Lecą z bidrogami.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, my sympathy goes out to your family. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Hugs,
Bren

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home